Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Military Tabby Tuesday

Armed Forces,Tabby Cat,Sir Tristan,Domestic Cat


Today is Veterans Day in the United States, an annual American holiday honoring military veterans. It is a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states and is usually observed on November 11th.

It is NOT one of the six major holidays that most humans take the day off from day hunting for, but some humans do get it off. (The Massage Therapist does not get it off, woe to me because I kind of looking forward to nice massage.)

It is also observed in Canada, where it is called Remembrance Day, and in other parts of the world where it is called Armistice Day, and it marks the signing of the Armistice that ended World War 1.

(Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11the day of the 11th month with the German signings of the Armistice.)

World War I was a long time ago, and most of the humans that were involved in it are no longer alive, even though they are a very long lived species by feline standards.

So instead of just using it to honor those that were involved in that epic battle, they changed it back in 1954 to honor all military veterans.

It is usually marked with parades and and various observances including school history projects that the small humans engage in.

In honor of Veterans Day, the Massage Therapist got me all camouflaged up and gave me some really cool sergeant stripes and a stylin' hat. She refused to give me a gun, however, I got some really glitzy lookin' dog tags.

I also got a medal, probably for being brave enough to come back in the house and face the daily horrors of the Demon Cat from Hell.

SHE might be a veteran of the Raccoon Wars. I've heard it whispered, you know. I tell you, she's mean enough that I could see her taking on a Coon and winning as well.

Anyway, enough about the Demon Cat. I look pretty good in sergeant stripes, don't you think? They really go with my already fashionable tiger stripes!

3 comments:

Name: Mr. Hendrix said...

Hi Tristan! You look majorly tough in that uniform. Veterans are men and women to be thankful for, cause if not for them, our beans may not be free to buy Temptations!

I'm sorry you and Diam, um the Demon Cat from Hell still aren't getting along. That sucks. Maybe someday right?

Evie/VampyVictor said...

hehe that is neat of your to don a hat in honor!
On our Anzac day where we have marches, Descendants of those passed are allowed to march in place of them wearing their medals, My Momma has them :)
We will remember them.. all.. always

V-V

T'Abby Normal said...

*salutes SGT Longtail*

Our dad is a Vet.... not the kind we don't like going to!

Purrs,
Abby & Stygia